Thursday, November 04, 2004

 
Get me out of here

The election results were NOT a warm welcome back to the States for me. I may have to try to leave sooner than expected...........

An email from my sister Katrina to her friends:

So as I was driving home this morning, I had a stronger reaction than I had expected. In a very weird way I felt similar to how I felt the morning of Sept. 11--shocked and confused but mainly scared for the future of our country and more specifically scared for the future of the people I love who are spread out across the country. Obviously I am not comparing today to Sept. 11 directly. But it surprised me at how much the feeling of doom hung over me just as it did then.

I have since been home and done things to distract myself, but I can't help but wonder what is in store for the US and the world. The optimist in me says that it can't really be that bad...things will work out fine, blah blah blah. A friend told me that four years ago when Bush had won he thought to himself, "well how much damage can one guy really do?" and has since thought that perhaps it was more than he would've expected. Today he jokingly said that again and although we half-laughed about it, my mind really was filled with all the things I fear could happen under Bush (from a reversal of Roe V. Wade to an amendment against civil unions and gay marriage to a draft and escalated conflict throughout the world).

So I guess right now I'm still trying to hang onto that optimism. And simply praying for our futures. Thanks for letting me get these thoughts out of my own head and onto the screen...



Comments:
May the Al-Mighty have mercy upon us.
One nice thought: He won't be around in 2008. Still dreading the mess he'll leave behind.
Pu-Yi.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?