Friday, October 08, 2004

 
I'm in love and really, really giddy

Terri has this fabulous camera, called a Lomo, that is so so so much fun! It's based on Russian spy technology and takes 4 pictures in 2 seconds and the photos turn out like a story board. Great for action shots!

Terri, Apit, and I traipsed around town today, armed with bright colored scarves, for a photo shoot. The locals probably thought we were crazy (but at least we had Apit with us!) and Terri nearly got run over by a car she was so intent on a picture, but it was some of the most fun I've had in a long time. (Note to remember: play Smuggler's Cove, a game like Capture the Flag, but with 'police' trying to catch people smuggling poker chips with the beam of their flashlight who then get to confiscate the goods, best on the beach! Courtesy Terri.)

The great thing about this camera is that you never know what you're going to get. The first picture posted below was supposed to be of my face, but the aim was off. There's no view finder, you just point and click once and pray for the best. In this case, the result was not what was intended, but random and a bit artsy! I'm convinced it's a great thing to have if you normally depend on a digital camera--where you know for sure you got a good picture and the element of surprise is eliminated.



Evil Genius




(Jaywalker)




Heroine



I had decided to have business cards made here in Malaysia because it is so much cheaper than in the US. We had a vision---use the Lomo photos ON the business cards. Tonight we made that dream a reality. We used the photos from above (which is why they are in digital form and I can share them and just now discovered how to put my own pix up with Flickr!). We were blessed with Ricky, a designer with great ideas and the necessary amount of patience to deal with our indecisiveness (and I just saw some graffiti from the train window--the only word: Ricky!).

When designing the cards, I was really weirded out by my last name. I kept looking at it, thinking it couldn't possibly be spelled right and hoping I hadn't lost my mind. It even came to me checking my driver's license. There was something about various fonts that made the 'noe' sandwiched between the tall 'h' and 'b' look really, really strange.

I'm taking orders, if anyone has a desire for some business cards! And they don't have to be serious (the top hairshot had my name, 'evil genius', and email only, to give out to non-business/work related people; Terri's beach shot said 'heroine'). We have pages of notes scribbled and every few hours, further inspiration strikes us with something funny or appropriate to put with a certain picture/action or for a specific person. Just send me the picture and the information you want! I love doing this! And the same place as the abilities to make tshirts--another fun project. And I want to make postcards using the Lomo photos, too!

Terri left this morning for Vietnam, but will be back in a couple of weeks for a few days! More playtime then!

DEPARTURE UPDATE: October 31st. I'll spend a few days in San Fran and then I'll be in Iowa till after Christmas!

PUBLISHED: I was out of town and then running around town with Terri till today. Missed the chance to tell you all that my article about the headscarf was posted on Saltmag.net here, but it's pretty much the same as the link on the sidebar from before. Any thoughts about a real publication that might want this piece!??! Suggestions welcome!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?