Saturday, October 30, 2004

 
Baggage

Friday night: one bag packed. Quite impressive, considering it was almost two days in advance. Needed to know how much space I have! Think I'm in good shape.

Some old baggage reappeared, in the form of shoes. Tempted to fill with dog poo. Or something equally as dramatic, but really not worth the effort, considering I didn't really care. But sometimes, awkward moments are fun to create. And then you get the glory in the form of a story.

I told Terri that she had to leave the country before I did--or at the very least, on my flight. Looks like we're seatmates!! She'll stop in Singapore though and return to her Korean friends' condo where she has her own bed and is given royal treatment.

Dream

Monday night: I couldn't go to sleep. Too much thinking, but not about what I needed to do before leaving Malaysia or even about my actual departure, but about the future. Thinking about bucket baths and mattresses on the floor and no hot water and huts in the village. I finally slept at about 8 am and mid-morning I had a dream. It went something like this:

I was with some unidentifiable friend (I think I knew who it was as I was dreaming but not now) in a jungle. There was a stream and when we crossed back over it, I noticed all the fish and a snake swimming in the water. I really wanted to put my foot in the water and sort of swish it around--not kick the animals exactly, but kind of. But my friend was like, no, you shouldn't do that.

Right then, we were distracted by the sound of a tiger or lion off in the distance. Then, we saw three kids run up and crouch down behind some bushes/a fence (?). I knew in my dream that these kids were local. Then we all watched as a wolf chased a man...and I think a man chased the wolf. Or else the wolf chased two men. Anyway, I also knew in the dream that these men were foreigners/tourists/(peace corps volunteers?!).

The wolf ate them both, then went after a woman. When he approached me, I didn't run like the others. I had an entirely different strategy. I pretended the wolf was my boyfriend. Instead of running away, I made him tango with me. Then he went off to chase/eat some more people and my mom came. She urged me to run away so the wolf wouldn't get me, but I told her that if I did, I knew I'd be eaten. But if I stayed, I'd be safe.

Then I woke up.

And my friend told me I'd said, "Go away" outloud while sleeping.

Dream interpretations welcomed! Prize for the best one!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?