Sunday, August 15, 2004

 
Return

Head on pillow, against the plane window, sure that if I open my eyes these words I've written in my mind's computer (complete with blinking cursor) will evaporate. I finally end up writing, by hand, since my brain lacks a save function. It's been so long since.

Your hair, short again, like when we first met. When I was expecting shorts--you used to wear them regardless of cold weather--you came wearing pants and an oversized corduroy jacket. And that striped shirt--I know I folded it the wrong way once or twice, in half instead of thirds so that you'd have to redo it to avoid that crease down the middle. Your shoes were different, though the skip in your step was not. I had forgotten it was something you did. Do. It's more of a gallop, really, since you don't raise your knees. Your face looks full with that beard and like your father's.

The things I took away from our meeting were physical. I remember the general flow of conversation, too, for now. Seeing you again makes you real again. In my memory, you're just a shape, an outline. Few defining features beyond these visual kinds. Sometimes I feel like you never really existed, when I try to recall your essence. My eye remembers details, but my heart forgets. Then I doubt if it ever really knew.

I hope you heard me when I said that if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be where I am today-- a nomad in love with the world. Thank you. And did you note the past tense when I said that I was sorry that I had wished something bad would happen to something close to your heart? (But remember, there's no crying in baseball. And, in case you didn't already know, the Yankees are traditionally a good team.)

Why am I making the private public? I used to insist on sharing my secret joys or transgressions. No discretion. That's how several strangers became friends. Andi still jokes about that time freshman year, sitting on a bench on Old Campus, when I told her some juicy story; she claims we'd barely even ever talked before that.

But that was another time. You are (were?) the past and I return to join you there now.

A friend likes to tell me that one can never really love another person because that other person cannot truly be known. You know only what they let you know of themselves and even if genuinely true, they could change. Love yourself, he says, then you are love and nothing else matters.

A quick Ctrl-A and a swifter DELETE?
Naw, let it ride.

Comments:
Andi--thankfully the meeting wasn't upsetting, it was uplifting. I'm beyond that point of wishing evil things upon him--I've been past that for about a year, give or take. I feel much more grown up this way! "Time heals all wounds," eh?
 
I recently got emails from a couple of my own "past universes" and it was strange. They all were, for some reason, trying to start up communication again, and in each of those particular cases, I felt it right to say, no, I don't want that now; I don't know if I ever will--I can't imagine wanting it, but then I couldn't imagine not wanting it, one time once--but right now I don't.

I think your friend is wrong, though, Jill; do we ever truly know ourselves? Not completely, I think. Love is not dependent on full knowledge of someone, be it another or ourselves; it's dependent on a kind of decision you know that you cannot make otherwise. Or, that's my working theory now. But then, that may well simply say a lot about the place I'm in right now.

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't hit the Delete key.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Gord: first off, so happy to get a comment from someone new!

i think that you're right about love not being entirely dependent on full knowledge of someone/yourself--that's really just not feasible. (woah, there i go, trying to be practical when talking about a thing like love?!) but i do think that my friend has a point--that when we become dependent on another person for love, we set ourselves up for hurt. it's more cautionary advice, i'd say: don't lose yourself. love, but don't expect love in a certain way back (flavor, color, texture).

for me, i felt love had failed me when i didn't get a fairy tale ending (despite being YEARS away wanting to settle down happily ever after), but that was only after initially placing blame (on him).

an old couple who had been married 50+ years was on oprah. someone asked what the secret to their success was and the old man answered, "we never feel out of love at the same time." that answer is poetic in its sad truthfulness.

i'm not sure i understand the part after that, though: "it's dependent on a kind of decision you know that you cannot make otherwise." i'd really like to understand what you mean!

i once did some research with a psych prof (well, research is a bit of a stretch) about love...lots of theories about whether it's an attitude, an emotion, a decision, a feeling, etc.

i think i like the idea of it being a decision best--you're in love when you think you're in love. maybe that means butterflies, maybe that means a willingness to sacrifice, maybe this, maybe that--it's what you define it as. above all else, love is personal, so i think this captures that when other ways fail to.


(i was just in my best friend's wedding last weekend; blog on that coming shortly.)
 
My mom and sister thought my blog was sad, so I thought I should note that when I wrote it, I wasn't sad. Maybe that's why I felt like sharing it--because I was looking back at the past, but not remorsefully. If I had been sad, it would have been more personal, emotional, and I may have been more reluctant to post it. But as it was, I was simply reminiscing...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?