Tuesday, August 31, 2004

 
Happy Merdeka Day, Malaysia
47 candles on the birthday cake



That's Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi, Malaysia's PM since last October when Mahathir Mohamad stepped down after more than twenty years in power.


Independence Day (August 31st) in Malaysia is hardcore. People hanging flags in windows, on cars, radio adverts telling people to "Get your flag up, get your flag up" in an annoying jingle. Those who didn't go out of town for the long weekend most certainly went out last night. The trains were packed, the streets were full. I've never seen anything like it here. Actually, they made the 4th of July look a little pathetic! But maybe that's because we can't maintain our full enthusiasm 228 years since we declared independence...(Note how similar the Malaysian flag is to the United States'? They copied it out of admiration, so the story goes. Or maybe it was just a lack of creativity....)

Exiting the LRT at Bukit Bintang, there was craziness in the streets. People had cans of silly string and were spraying everyone. I made a mad dash (but trying not to look like I was, because that would have made me better prey) to get to what I deemed a safe zone across the street and had almost made it. But then, unsuspectingly, a guy raised a can 3 inches from my face and sprayed, without breaking stride. (Similar to how Erika nearly made it out of the Bird Park before getting crapped on by a bird; so close, but no dice.) This is probably the closest Malaysia gets to Thailand's Songkran Festival (check the archive for April to hear about the water fights, drive by splashings and whiskey swigging).

There may have been a parade, because people were lined up along the streets, but I missed it. The clubs were all packed---and charging hefty covers. Luckily, I was meeting someone with some swing and I got in for free to Thai Club. (Only now I realize that perhaps that is an ill named place for celebrating Malaysia's independence day.) There were Party Packs for free at the entrance: glow sticks, noise makers, streamers, cans of silly string, masks. Balloons and flags were hanging everywhere. The band played only Malay songs and were dressed in traditional clothes. I know the lead female singer, but this was the first time I saw her perform--she's so animated and silly on stage! There was a countdown at midnight---and I swear, New Year's must be insane here considering this party!

Celebrating Merdeka at Thai Club, August 31, 2004 (couldn't get this picture to show up here, so this is the link)


After the countdown, we went outside to see the fireworks, some of which were being set off right above the club. I looked up and something flew into my eye. I freaked out, sure that it was a spark from the firecracker that would blind my right eye forever. My friend tried to get me some water from the bartender and I swear I heard him say that my eye was bleeding. Freak out increased and I touched my eyes and looked at my fingertips to see if there was blood. There wasn't, but I was still scared. I wanted to know how serious it was, but was also afraid to ask. I still have sight, so I guess it wasn't that bad, though it was painful for quite awhile.

My friend only said that my eye was bleeding because the bartender wasn't really paying attention and was taking too long. Incidentially, I can say my eyes are bleeding in Japanese. Me kara chi ga daru. Fortunatley, they weren't really. And besides, this isn't Japan!

Everyone was drinking, drinking, drinking. My Malay friend kept getting free drinks, eveyone was being so friendly. Ah, there's the ethnic harmony Malaysia tries so hard to put forth as its public face! Said friend is currently hung over and sleeping it off on my couch as I write this.

Happy Birthday, Malaysia. It's been a good year.


**************************************************************************
Current Mood: Thought that a severe thunderstorm was inevitable, but turned out (I hope) to have been just a light rain.

Reminded of the following lyrics:

Garden Party, by Ricky Nelson
"I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends.
A chance to share old memories and play our old songs again.
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name,
But no one recognized me, I didn't look the same.
But it's all right now. I learned my lesson well.
You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.
People came from miles around. Everyone was there..."

Or maybe Bob Marley's words are more relevant:
"You can fool some people sometimes,
But you can’t fool all the people all the time.
So now we see the light."


I get those lyrics, "I learned my lesson well / You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself," stuck in my head sometimes. I think I've been in the Please Myself mode for the last few months and it's been good. Making my own decisions, not worrying what others think, listening to my heart, silencing my over-active brain--though sometimes its listening to my brain and silencing my over-active heart. It goes both ways.

But my recent mistake made me realize that my attitudes aren't shared by everyone (unfortunately). I don't have to please them, but I do have to consider the impact my actions have on them. I know I can no longer be blind (by falling stars or firecrackers). As Andi recently Confessed: I'm responsible for being irresponsible. So am I, sista.

I need to tweak my actions so that I can still live by my beliefs/attitudes while simultaneously not pissing off those that operate on a different basis. This is partially about expectations that they have, that I don't think I should have to live with.

The tweak: a return to isolating certain situations, so what they don't know, won't hurt 'em. Civil disobedience, not taking to the streets in protest. Maybe it's not the ultimate lesson to be learned, but it's the one that allows me to not step on any toes without compromising myself. Pretty simple (and how I had been functioning up until this minor glitch).

I recently read that which is easiest is closest to the truth.

Cryptic? You bet.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?