Wednesday, August 04, 2004

 
All Grown Up
And stronger than me!

I used to babysit my neighbors. I was 12 or 13 and the kids were infant, 3, 5, and 7. I'd bring along my sister, two years younger than me, as help. My mom was always at home, ready as backup if ever I needed to be rescued (she never had to).

Today, those same kids are 13, 15, 18, and 20.

How this is even possible, I don't know. They're supposed to forever be little kids that I let tackle and tickle me.

Now, the oldest two have a boyfriend and a girlfriend. The 15 year old is taller than me and I think the 13 year old is better at putting makeup on than I am.

I ventured over to their house today to 'play.' The 15 year old and I played several different card games, including Go Fish. We had a dispute about the rules; she claimed the winner was the first one out of cards and I said it was the person with the most pairs. So we called my house to seek outside advice; my mom agreed with Lucy. But I wouldn't settle that easily; what did my mom know about such things?! I suggested we call the public library reference desk, which amused and embarassed Lucy. The guy who answered the phone didn't act as if it was a strange question and plugged it into the internet to give us the second opinion: I was right! But then Lucy called into doubt his authority on the matter. We finally agreed (after deciding not to call a preschool) that whatever my sister Katrina said would go. Katrina agreed with my version!

Perhaps something's wrong with me, to derive such pleasure at being right in a disagreement with a teenager...But SHE started it (the competitiveness)!

"Let's armwrestle," I joked.

She was all too eager, which made me hesitant and act as if I'd been joking. I finally gave in and we sprawled out on their wooden floor, elbows padded by a blanket.

I ended up walking home with my head hung in shame.

Comments:
hahahahahahaahahahahahah serves you right. i think u need to carry more hay :p
 
hehe..well, children do 'metamorphosize', you know...we were once little children ourselves, i guess that's how our once 'baby sitters' would view on us too..haha..times change, and there's nothing to hold it back.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?