Thursday, June 03, 2004

 
Frustrations running high

So, I've been doing well on my resolution of being productive, but today I hit a wall. I actually attempted to do those things on my list of to-dos that involved other people...specifically people I wanted to interview for my Fulbright research. I called one place and after the receptionist spoke Malay to me, I thought I was put on hold and waited a good while, only to discuss that she had actually hung up. Then I called a shelter that I wanted to visit---had been told by a previous interviewee that I ought to---and was told first to write a letter, but after I explained more, she said I had to call her director to get permission. So I called the director, but he was on vacation, so I had to talk to someone else, but he wasn't there right now and might not be later, so I was told to try after lunch.

ARGH!

No wonder I haven't gotten more done.

I've found some good materials at another university that I'm not affiliated with, but I'm circumventing university library BS by borrowing a friend's ID.

Update: I got in touch with one of the people I wanted to meet, who then told me to contact his personal assistant to set a time for our appointment---only she didn’t speak English. After getting passed around to several people, I got the man back who I had wanted to meet. And I also managed to schedule a second meeting for next week, too!

Forgot

One of the movies I watched on the flight here was "The Perfect Score," a movie about six high school students stealing the SAT exam with a very "Breakfast Club" feel to it. In any case, I found myself identifying with the characters, having been a recent victim of the LSAT. The final words of the movie, "That's right, baby! Standardize this!" I couldn't agree more.

Cut

So you might remember that I have two long-haired bassist friends. One cut his hair off after having dreads for three days because his head itched. I just discovered yesterday that the other one cut his hair out of boredom with his life a few days ago. Reminds me of a certain procrastinating sophomore several years ago...

Punctured

I hadn't mentioned it before, so that I could surprise the people in the US I would be seeing soon, but I got my nose pierced about six weeks ago. Peer pressure--everyone here has one!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?