Monday, March 22, 2004

 
Be part of the magic!

I think these websites/ideas appeal to some deep-seated desire I have to be part of something bigger than me, something serendipitous.

*Bookcrossing
Register a book, write its own tracking number and this website in the front, and then “release it into the wild”…leave it on a park bench, in a train, or even (lamely) with a friend and track where it goes, who reads it and what they thought on the website. I checked KL and there are even members here! Not only that, they have Meetups the second Tuesdays of each month (all around the world). (And then I found a list of other Meetups here for things from Islam to Incubus, Witches to Friendsters.) So you can exchange books and meet people (especially great if you’re in a new city or just want a way to find new people).

I have a few books that I’ve read, but didn’t really love enough to justify bringing back to the US. I tried to take them to a used bookstore, but would have gotten less than a $1 for each. Now, I get to “set them free”! I haven’t decided where, but know I’ll be tempted to lurk and watch, trying to see who finds it…

*Phototag
Disposal cameras left in random places with instructions to take a photo, then pass it on/abandon it somewhere. The camera has postage affixed to it already, so once it’s used up, just drop it in the mailbox. Website has journal entries of people who have encountered it and posts the photos once the camera makes it back. (From what I can tell, some people don’t understand the concept of taking only one photo!)

*Where's George?
Enter in the serial number of your money to see if it’s been registered before, where it’s traveled and check up on it once you’ve spent it. The few bills I have weren’t registered yet, so their log begins with me. The site reminds people that it’s a federal crime to deface the currency, but I’m sure people have scribbled www.wheresgeorge.com on their bills before…I’m just hesitant to do anything that would make the Vietnamese or Cambodian money exchangers reject them (though I’m pretty sure they want the US dollars enough that a little writing wouldn’t stop them).

*Degree Confluence Project
An attempt to photograph every intersection of a line of latitude and longitude!

*Flash Mob
“A novel way of bringing strangers together for a surprising collection action” vs. “the pointlessness of chain letters combined with the adolescent inanity of ‘everybody cough at exactly 2:08!’ ritual.” People, generally organized by the internet, come together in a public place and act loosely based on a script, then disperse. Antimob.com has some interesting things to say about it, encouraging people to ‘hack the mob.’

*Flat Stanley
A classroom project. Students color pictures of Stanley (who is one-dimensional and, thus, Flat) and then send them to family and friends, who then take pictures of him where they are and tell about what Stanley did that day (what he say, learned, the weather). A lesson in geography and culture. Bridget’s cousin sent her one—should be a good learning experience what with all of Bridget’s traveling!

*Beer Can Bob and the gnome in Amelie
Classic, with variations. The can-holder or gnome at the Great Wall of China, Pyramid, Yankee Stadium, etc.

*Postcards from WHO?!
Erika and I had an idea several years ago to each pick someone random out of the phonebook and start to send them postcards from wherever we were for the rest of our lives. We wouldn’t have revealed much about ourselves or explained that we didn’t actually know them…But the catch was, I would want to know their response. I’m no good at the whole give-and-go kind of thing. I always need to know.

Know more of these things? Tell me!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?