Friday, February 06, 2004

 
The Answer
Though you don't deserve it!

Shout out to Andi; at least I know I have one person reading my blog!

So, the answer: the Egyptians came--late--because they were praying (and also Egyptians are always late). I've had several classes with them. Sherif plays supervisor when Mustafa gives me things too difficult.

They had a friend who was going to send them money, but it was expensive to Western Union it to them here. So they asked if they could have him transfer the money to my account. I said, sure, not a problem. Then realized that that would be a major red flag to the US government: money from an Egyptian in Yemen coming to me in Malaysia...I already have visas from Egypt, Lebanon, Turkey, Syria, Jordan and a student visa from the International Islamic University here in Malaysia to make me look suspicious. Luckily I realized this in time and they ended up being able to set up their own bank account! I'm anxious to see if I get the third degree from US immigration when I return to the States. I sometimes joke with people here that I'm CIA. (I'm not.)

Iowa Representin'
Bridget isn't good at headlines anymore (but at least she remembers this is called a deck)

Bridget (friend from elementary school who I haven't seen in years, traveling around SE Asia) made her way down from Penang today. It's crazy to have someone here I know from home. Like, I was able to refer to a place as being similar to the Ped Mall and she knew what I was talking about.

I also found out that Erika will most likely be able to come visit at the end of the month! Very exciting news. The plan changes hourly it seems, but as it stands now, Bridget and I will go to the National Park (jungle, really) and some tea plantations. Then Erika and I will go to some beaches on the East Coast while Bridget goes off and does some more of her thang. Then I'll met back up with Bridget at some point to see Cambodia/Vietnam/Laos. I'd been unsure who I was going to travel with to all these places (that are probably better not to do alone)--now I have companions!

Watch Bridget's blog for her SE Asia adventures. (She just taught me how to these snazzy links! Look how professional this is!)


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?