Saturday, December 13, 2003

 
What are the odds?
December 13, 2003


I have this habit of making eye contact, even when just walking down the street, that has many more implication abroad than it does in the States. I like to look at people's faces, see their features, see their expressions. In some countries, particularly when woman do this, it is considered an invitation to engage in conversation and very forward, especially if the looked-at is male. Today, I happened to look at a man some distance away and he looked at me at the same time and our eyes met. This was unintentional, mind you, I was NOT trying to get his attention (though I have been known to do that!). My unconscious reaction when our eyes met was to raise my eyebrows, a kind of, what are you looking at type reaction.

Well, he was some distance ahead of me and I noticed that he'd stopped, so I planned to breeze right by him and not say anything or look over. As I passed him, he said hello. Being the Midwestern, friendly girl that I am, I cannot not say hello to someone (same problem in Egypt!). So I said hello back but kept on walking. He started to walk beside me and I realized on second glance that he didn't seem to look like a Malaysian (which is saying a lot since that could mean Malay, Chinese, Indian).

"Where are you from?" I inquired. I always play a guessing game when I see obvious foreigners, though rarely find out if my guesses are correct. Even in Egypt I would do this. It's cheating if you actually HEAR the person speaking; this game has to be played from afar.

"Egypt," he replied.

At this point, of course, I launched into some Arabic expressions of dismay and improbability! "Walahi? Mismaul!" Really?! Unbelievable!

He returned the question and I, a creature of habit, replied that I was from...Shobra (refer to first post). At this point I believed that my search for an Arabic teacher may well be over, but it turns out he's just transiting through KL for a few days on his way to Indonesia. We went to grab a drink and I got at least a mini-review session! Turns out that he works in Zamalek, not far from where my apartment was in Cairo.

Egypt in Malaysia, yet again. I seem to be a magnet.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?