Sunday, December 21, 2003

 
December 21, 2003

So this site has been a little neglected: my laptop is getting fixed (insha'allah, cross your fingers), so I've been incommunicado of late. And that trend will continue, as I leave Tuesday to go to Sabah with roommates (tickets went through, so all alternatives plans got shelved for the original, including flying to Cairo to surprise old friends or seeing about a flight to Korea--though now I see Andi's fam is on the way anyway). I'll taking notes of observations though, lots of them. Fill you in post-holidays.

In the meantime, have yourselves a merry little Christmas, make the...what are those words? Katrina would know. She always does.

Just one thing I want to share for now: I'm magic. Three examples:

1. "Gee, considering it rains so much here and is also sunny a lot, I'm surprised I've only ever seen one rainbow," I say as we exit the parking ramp, where upon I see a DOUBLE rainbow.

2. "Gee, I'm feeling aggression and wish I could beat someone up." By the end of the day, I happen to look up above a restaurant 1 block away from my apartment where I always eat and see punching bags in the window and people kicking them. Next day I check it out and get two free kickboxing classes before having to decide if I want to join. (And boy am I feeling that first one still; I can barely walk. Today's church-going expedition was particularly painful given all the standing/sitting/kneeling. The second one will have to wait so I will hopefully be able to climb a mountain...)

3. "Gee, I haven't had any gecko-y lizardy things in my room." Within 10 minutes, I have a little visitor on my wall. (So it's not ALL good magic; haven't quite learned how to control it...be careful what you wish for, right? Though I was a little lonely, so maybe he was just coming to keep me company.)

And remind me to tell you about R. I don't think he's appeared yet in these files, at least not by name. He's the guy who lent me money post-theft way back when. If my life was a movie, he'd definitely star in the lead male role. He's also my Malay teacher and possibly the only person I would truly miss if I were to have to leave Malaysia forever today. He deserves space here, not sure what was keeping me from sharing him with you. Will do. In the New Year.

Love to you all.

(And send messages to my cell phone to ward off feeling immense distance from loved ones during the holidays. Send short messages to: 0123558349@sms.maxis.net.my and I will be ever so much happier. Thanks to all those who have sent ones so far--much appreciated!)




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?